International Quilt Study Center, University of Nebraska, Lincoln USA
The International Quilt Study Center at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln is a centre of excellence established to collect, promote, study and preserve quilts and quilt making traditions from many countries. Formed in 1997 following the donation of the Ardis & Robert James’ collection of nearly 950 quilts together with generous financial support for their upkeep, the Center now houses around 3000 quilts from more than 24 countries and dating from the early 1700’s to the present day and is now the world’s largest publically held quilt collection.
The building, designed by architects Robert R.M. Stern of New York and Alley Poyner Macchietto Architure is a masterpiece of architecture, its imposing glass façade wrapping around the interior spaces and exhibition rooms. It is holder of the US Green Building Council’s Leadership in Energy & Environmental Design Silver rating for its environmental sustainability.
The Panelock design team worked with the Center’s curators, using Panelock Gallery Display System 200 and designing special frames which could be attached to either the units or gallery walls to better display the many priceless quilts. The Museum aims to mount from 6 to 8 exhibitions a year, each comprising 15-25 quilts, and System 200 offers a flexible solution to the challenges involved in hanging this number of constantly changing exhibits.
Pictures © Aaron Esto Galleries www.quiltstudy.org